Wednesday 9 April 2008

How do we do it?

… by the Holy Spirit, by sincere love, by the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armor of righteousness… - 2 Corinthians 6v6-7

Here Paul gives a long litany of what he and his team have gone through. Trials, persecution, jailings, and more were a part of his ministry. Yet he did these things with patience, and honour. He says that they stuck with it when things were going well and when things were not going well, when they were sad and when they were happy. When they had nothing they knew they really had everything. How did they function with this kind of mindset? What kept them going no matter what they faced?

I think the key is right in the middle of this passage. What kept them going?

The Holy Spirit

Sincere love

The word of truth

The power of God

The armour of righteousness

Too often I base my attitude and feelings about the ministry based n what is going on around me. When things are happening and numbers are up I am excited and thrilled at being able to serve Him. When things are slow and numbers are down I can get discouraged and downhearted. Why is that? I think I am beginning to get a glimpse. It is because those things change all the time. They are never consistent. But Paul had something in his heart and mind that kept him going. There are some things that don’t change with circumstances.

The Holy Spirit never changes

Sincere love does not change

The word of truth doesn’t change

The power of God doesn’t change

The armour of righteousness that He provides does not change

My problem is that I tend to look at the changeable because it is so obvious. In those times I must call to mind these unchangeable things that are always there. May my motivation to service be these five unchangeable influences instead of the roller coaster that is life and ministry.

1 comment:

Scott Bandy said...

Good thoughts Roger. I think the problem is (as I evaluate my own life) that though this person (Holy Spirit) and these things (love, truth, power and armour) do not change, they "feel" like they do. Probably because of the circumstances themselves. I guess this is where faith comes in. And without applying that faith, the appearance of change takes place. That's why "Faith is the SUBSTANCE of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."