Friday 4 April 2008

If any man be in Christ

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. – 2 Corinthians 5v17

There has been a lot packed in to the last few verses. In the light of all that Paul lays out a very clear statement about believers. He says “If any man be in Christ…” I could probably stop there for today and pick up the rest of the verse tomorrow but I want to cover the whole verse. What does it mean to be “in Christ?” It means that I am no longer in myself. I am covered by His blood, seen in the light of His righteousness, and forgiven by His sacrifice. “In Christ” means that my eternally security is just as safe as His.

Those who are truly in Christ are totally new creations. The old things have already passed away. I am a new man in Him. The old me has been crucified with Him. Because the old man is dead I am raised to walk in newness of life and this newness of life is reflected in my life daily.

In Christ means not only the blessedness of being safe in Him, but also that my new life reflects Him. If I truly am in Him I begin to see things from His perspective, no longer my own. I begin to see other through His eyes. I begin to view the world through His perspective.

I was heard someone use the phrase “Seeing the world through Jesus’ eyes” to describe the last few verses and this has stuck in my mind.

As His love constrains me, does it affect how I see men? As a new man Christ does the world see Jesus in me?

Just a note from “The Valley of Vision”

“Let thy unexampled love constrain me into holy obedience, and render my duty my delight.”

No comments: