Sunday 13 April 2008

Liberality in affliction

that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded in the riches of their liberality. – 2 Corinthians 8v2

I don’t think a whole lot about giving. I should probably think about it a lot more. Giving is just part of the Christian life, but far too often I have, and I think others, are happy enough to drop our 10% in the offering plate.

The Macedonian Christians had a whole different view of giving. The dear people had really had nothing of their own. There were being persecuted for their faith and were living in poverty.

Yet they were excited about giving to spread the gospel. They had great joy in giving, they abounded in the riches of their liberality, they give beyond what they could give, and they begged Paul to take their money.

I fear that this kind of giving is not the norm in my life. Might I learn how to give from the Macedonian believers.

No comments: