Friday 25 April 2008

The more I love the less I am loved

And I will very gladly spend and be spent for your souls; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I am loved. – 2 Corinthians 12v15

I have a very, very dear friend who, read he reads this, is going to be sure that I wrote it for him alone. Let’s just say that Gods timing is perfect.

The more I read Paul’s letters this time though the more I am learning to love and identify with him. He, as he prepares to close his letter to the church his heart is clearly seen. He says that he is anxious to go see them, and he does not want their money, he wants to see them. He says that as his spiritual children he needs to be the one caring for them.

Then he shares some heart wrenching words – “I will gladly wear myself out for your souls, even though the more I love you, the less you love.” One of the harsh realities of the ministry is that we are dealing with people and sadly, people are going to hurt us. There are going to be times when we pour our hearts and souls into people because we love them. The result of which, sometimes, is that they are not going to love us in return.

I think we all know the reality of this situation without me going into any more detail about my own personal experiences. Paul’s words may not make it any easier, but isn’t it nice to know that our brother Paul went through the same thing we go through?

May we be able to give of ourselves and keep loving, even when that love is not reciprocated.

No comments: