Monday 7 April 2008

No offence

We give no offense in anything, that our ministry may not be blamed. – 2 Corinthians 6v3

“No offence.” I have to ask myself how often, or maybe how seldom, those words have characterised my ministry. It is possible for believers to be so fervent and so motivated in their ministry that they can replace boldness with rudeness, offence, and obnoxiousness. I was once visiting with a Christian who, when a lady home alone tried to close the door, literally stick his foot in the door so he could keep witnessing! I have seen preachers who were grossly overweight preach against smoking and social drinking. I have preacher and other believers reject or ignore lost people who came to church because they did not look right or dress properly. I have known many folks who were so offended by these actions and others that they have rejected Christ and His word.

Does “no offence” mean that we never take a stand for anything? Does it mean that we adopt an “anything goes” attitude that never deals with sin? Of course not. It does mean that we should never be the ones to cause offence by our actions, spirits, or attitudes. If the gospel, clearly and lovingly presented, causes offence that is one thing and is to be expected. But if I cause offence then my ministry can be blamed for turning others from Christ instead of to Him.

Be fervent, be bold, be forward, content for the faith, stand for Christ – but do so without offending those we strive to reach with our actions and attitudes.

1 comment:

Candi said...

Good thoughts! God's really been working in this area of my heart over the last year - I LUV rules and external evidences of doing right. But He's showing me that He gives more freedom than I ever did. There are explicit rights and wrongs, but they have more to do with my heart (and my tongue) than with my hair length or whether I'm wearing a dress or not. It's a hard lesson, but Thank God for the sufficiency of His grace (and that He's very, very patient).