Tuesday 15 April 2008

Sowing and reaping

But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. – 2 Corinthians 9v6

One of the things a farmer will do if he wants to increase his harvest is to increase what he plants. It only makes sense; if you want a better crop you need sow more seed.

Some have taken this verse as a sure fire way to increase their gain. “Say if I give more than I will get more!” But is doesn’t always work that way – it doesn’t mean that giving to others is a get rich quick scheme. Some of the most blessed people I have known have nothing in the world’s eyes.

I think it is pretty simple. The key to all of this, like so much else in the scriptures, is our hearts. If my focus is being a blessing to others and I sow in that regard than I am going to see things differently. If I find my blessing in sowing and giving than it only makes sense that the more I give and sow the more blessed I am when I see the results.

My blessing should not be in how I benefit. I should reap the benefit of seeing what my sowing does for others and for the Lord.

No comments: