Friday 23 May 2008

Examine your work

For if anyone thinks himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. But let each one examine his own work, and then he will have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another. - Galatians 6v3-4

Why is it that we have such an easy time finding fault in others? Why is it that we take it on ourselves to become judge and jury for other people and other ministries? It is so easy for us to see problems with others while all the while ignoring things in our own lives.

Part of the reason is found in the first part of this passage. I fear, no, I know, that far too often the error is that we think that we are “something” and therefore qualified to sit as judge and jury on others. When we do that, as this verse says, we deceive ourselves.

There are a few key words in this passage. “Let a man examine his own works.” My daily walk needs to begin with a self examination. For me at least that is a HUGE task. A friend reminded me of this recently when I was being critical of a methodology and terminology that was irritating me.

Keeping me right with the Lord is a full time job. I fear that sometimes the reason we are so slow to examine ourselves is that we might be afraid what we will find there.

No comments: