Monday 23 June 2008

Every part does its share


from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love. - Ephesians 4v16


Did you ever think of how the body works together? Every part, even the smallest part, has its role to play in a task. As I sit here typing this entry my legs are supporting the little computer on my lap. They are working together to keep it balanced. My eyes are seeing the letters as they enter the page. The fingers of my hands seem to know where to go on the keyboard to find the right keys to translate the thoughts in my head into words on the screen. If my ears hear a “ding” they will know something needs my attention. (Funnily enough, as I typed that I heard a ding, someone was IMing me). The whole concept of translating thoughts into typed words requires intricate cooperation. My fingers are not working on their own either – my hands are moving and the muscles in my arms are controlling that action. Not only that, but as I work on this I am aware of all that is going on around me, I know that the sun is shining, that I am listening to the radio online, I can even feel the threadbare carpet under my feet.

How does all of this happen? How can I do all of this complicated work? It happens because every part of my body, in intricate and detailed cooperation, controlled by the head, is able to accomplish a task.

Paul is saying the came thing in this verse. Every part of the body, working effectively as each part does its share, causes growth through edification. If I don’t do my part the body will compensate. However, the body functions best when every single part does its share. The head, Jesus, is in control. All the rest of the body works in smooth cooperation. I really don’t want to let the rest of the body down.

No comments: