Saturday 28 June 2008

No corrupt word

Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. - Ephesians 4v29


There are certain verses that, no matter how many times I read them, really stab at my heart with conviction. Sadly, this is one of them.

We all know that the tongue is the greatest enemy we face. James makes that very clear. I suspect that we all know the same from experience. I think that’s why we have to be reminded so often about the importance of our words.

“Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth.” How clear can that be? I look back at how often those corrupt words have come out of my own mouth. As I sit here I can remember the looks on friend’s faces as something has popped out of my mouth that caused damage. We often think about this verse in the context of “bad language.” That may be true, but the context here is in the light of communication in the church.

Corrupt words are those words which are rotten, corrupt, and worthless. I don’t think there is a lot of explanation needed here. We all, I am sure, can think of the corrupt words we have said that have caused damage.

On the other hand we have the words that we should speak – good words, edifying words, and grace words.

Which of these describe my normal use of words? What an intriguing question.

No comments: