Saturday 19 July 2008

Christ is preached – I rejoice

What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is preached; and in this I rejoice, yes, and will rejoice. - Philippians 1v18


I get convicted a lot when I read and study the word of God. This passage today though hits me like a 2x4 (I am not sure what they are called in this day of metric lumber).

I don’t like it when I am attacked and criticised by other preachers. I don’t like it when men talk behind my back to try and make me look bad. A few months ago I received a letter full of lies and deception. My feelings were hurt, I was angry, and I wanted to “get back at him.”

Sadly, this is not an uncommon occurrence. . I see the same flaw in other men. Attacks and criticism result in retribution and revenge. Christian scandal sheets, once laid somewhat harmlessly on church tables, are now online for all the world to see.

I am not talking about false teachers spreading their heretical false teachings. I am talking about preachers who preach the gospel of Jesus Christ. Our methods, ideas, and preferences differ – but we all preach the same gospel. Paul points out that some of these guys even preach with the wrong motive, but the gospel is still proclaimed.

I wish I could grasp this better. I think Barnes’ Notes puts it well.

(1) When we are laid aside from preaching by sickness, we should rejoice that others are in health, and are able to make the Saviour known, though we are forgotten.
(2) when we are unpopular and unsuccessful, we should rejoice that others are more popular and successful - for Christ is preached.
(3) when we have rivals, who have better plans than we for doing good, and whose labors are crowned with success, we should not be envious or jealous - for Christ is preached.
(4) when ministers of other denominations preach what we regard as error, and their preaching becomes popular, and is attended with success, we can find occasion to rejoice - for they preach Christ.
In the error we should not, we cannot rejoice; but in the fact that the great truth is held up that Christ died for people, we can always find abundant occasion for joy.


I guess I don’t really get it. But Paul is saying that if Christ is proclaimed he rejoices. There is definitely something I need to learn from this passage.

2 comments:

Parrowdigm said...

I came across a similar thought yesterday in the closing greetings of 1 Corinthians. There Paul sent greetings from the churches of Asia (Minor) and from Aquila and Priscilla and the church in their house (1 Cor. 16.19).

As bad as things were in Corinth, other churches were still 'cheering' for them. Paul knew how awful things were, yet he didn't start a whispering campaign in other churches or even among his own friends.

If it happened today, then I'm sure e-mails would have been flying across the world telling churches to avoid Corinth. Paul would have posted on his website that he was hearing disturbing things out of Corinth. The church would have been removed from his 'approved churches' list.

I'm amazed at how far we have come from the Way of the New Testament.

Scott Bandy said...

Excellent Roger. Man, I am challenged and encouraged. Thank you brother.I certainly needed that reminder. And thanks Micaiah. Good thoughts to go along with Roger's blog. God Bless

Scott