Friday 18 July 2008

For the furtherance of he gospel

But I want you to know, brethren, that the things which happened to me have actually turned out for the furtherance of the gospel, - Philippians 1v12


Sometimes we think we have it tough, and some people really do. I think it is tough because I have to live in a rented house. I think it is tough when I see my electric bill. I think I have it tough when I pay 1.35 euro a litre ($8.00 a gallon) for petrol. I think I have it tough when I get some discouraging news. I think I have it tough when some one gets sick.

However, some people do have it tough. Like the preacher who was born with no arms and no legs. Like the Christian I saw interviewed who was totally paralysed, but gave constant testimony to his love and devotion to the Lord. Or like Paul, imprisoned in Rome for his faith in Christ. How do these guys do it? How does someone like Joni Erikson Tata continue on faithful in service? Why do others of us get down every time circumstances go the wrong way?

I think Uncle Screwtape has the answer. When he wrote to Wormword he said this regarding humans. “But you must remember that he takes Time for the ultimate reality. He supposes that the Enemy [God}, like himself, sees some things as present, remembering others as past, and anticipate others as future…” The folks in the paragraph above all knew that it is not about the here and now. They knew that there is an Eternity to keep in mind.

Most of us think that “Time is the ultimate reality” even though God lives and works outside of time. We think that God works just like us. Therefore a crisis at the moment draws all of our focus. It captures our attention and we can’t seem to let it go.

In today’s passage Paul provides the change of thinking we need to get out of this trap. “Everything that has happened to me has actually turned out for the furtherance of the gospel.” So often we don’t let that happen because when things get tough we focus on ourselves. All that counts are my circumstance at this exact present moment.

May we learn, like Paul, to see every situation as an opportunity for the furtherance of the gospel. May we not swallow the line that “Time is the ultimate reality.” May we see each moment and each circumstance in the light of Eternity.

2 comments:

Scott Bandy said...

Good and encouraging words Roger. Thank you.

Scott

Candi said...

Good perspective - remind me of this next time I'm obsessing over my "troubles." It really is good to know that God's reality encompasses so much more than I can see in my little world!!