Sunday 6 July 2008

Giving thanks for all things



giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, - Ephesians 5v20



There can be no doubt that God asks us to have a “gratitude attitude.” I have heard some preachers say, from I Thessalonians, that we are to give thanks “in” everything. They often say, “We need to give thanks in everything. It doesn’t say that we are to give thanks for everything.” That may be true in I Thessalonians, but here it could not be clearer – “Giving thanks for all things.”

But how do we do that? How do we give thanks for everything that comes our way? How do we give thanks when we struggle and struggle with our sin? How do we give thanks when everything goes bottom up? How do we give thanks when we struggle with paying our bills? How do we give thanks when we continue to meet unfulfilled expectations? How do we give thanks when crisis and disaster come?

The list could go on and on and everyone reading this could add to it. The question remains – how do we do it?

I wish I could say I had it all figured out. I wish I could say that I can give thanks for everything that comes my way. I think if we could ever grasp two key thoughts we might be on our way. First, God is in control of every situation we face. Second, God loves us. As simple as those may sound, if we really applied them then thanksgiving would come naturally. If I really believe that His, the One who is love and Who loves me is in control, then whatever comes my way comes with the knowledge of He who loves me. I will never understand it all, but I am not God. I cannot love as He loves, I don’t even know the next minute, much less the whole future.

Perhaps thanksgiving is the ultimate test of faith in Him.

No comments: