Wednesday 23 July 2008

Lowliness of mind


Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. - Philippians 2v3


I doubt there is any term less appealing to 21st century western culture than “lowliness of mind.” If you doubt what I am saying head towards Dublin on the N7 one morning during rush hour (adapt to your local big town and the major road leading in) and watch the traffic cutting and jockeying for position. Okay, if you are like me all you have to do is think for a second about your own feelings in that traffic being among the “cutters and jockeys.”

If you have ever seen the 60’s film “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World” you have seen a classic picture of selfishness and greed. Four groups of people hear about money hidden in a California state park. The entire film is about the greedy rush to be the first to get the money. No one else matters, nothing else matter, but finding the money.

I don’t know if the writers and producers intended it, but they captured what life is far too often what it is all about. It is all about “every man for himself.” We could reword the verse above this way to describe the film, and life in general. Sadly the phrase too often is adopted by the church and its members. “Let everything be done through selfish ambition and conceit. In haughtiness of mind let each esteem himself better than anyone else!”

Few of us are content to take the back seat or go to the back of the queue. We all like acknowledgement and praise. Too many of us like the prestige of being in charge and being in control. It is a battle that I face on a regular basis. When I go into a situation I want to take over and far too often I really don’t think about who is in the way. Part of that, I have to say, is just basic leadership. But sometimes I have to examine my heart to determine if I do that only because I don’t think anyone else can do it right.

Esteeming others better than ourselves is such a challenge. Putting others first, not just in action and in visible ways, but deep down in out hearts should be our goal. It is more than just getting in the back of the food queue at a church dinner. Esteeming others better than myself means I don’t even think about me. If I am truly esteeming other better than me I don’t even think about doing it. I lead when I need to lead and I follow when I need to follow. I act when I need to act and step aside when I need to step aside.

Can you imagine a body where everyone was putting others first?

No comments: