Monday 11 August 2008

Changing my mind



Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praise worthy meditate on these things.
– Philippians 4v8



I have a book on my shelf called “The Battle for the Mind.” The author slips my mind at the moment, but it is the title that fits today’s thoughts. The Bible speaks a lot about our minds. We are told to have the mind of Christ, to have our minds renewed, to be of one mind, to have lowliness of mind, and so on. Just a quick look indicates that the word “mind” appears about 50 times in the New Testament alone. It is obvious to any of us who are honest that the mind is where the great battle of the flesh and the spirit take place. It is our minds that become full of cares and anxieties. It is our mind that encourages us to find our own fleshly way of acting instead of seeking the Spirit’s way.

Here is this passage we find a clear piece of instruction. While we cannot choose what comes across out paths, we can choose our thoughts in response. That is where this passage comes into play. Here God just lays it out for us – here are the things to choose to meditate on. While we tend to dwell on fleshly, self focused, worldly stuff God lays it on the line. Meditate on these things.

True things
Noble things
Just things
Pure things
Lovely things
Reputable things
Virtuous things
Praiseworthy things

What a contrast to things I tend to meditate on. To my honest, there are times when I can meditate on all the opposites of that list. And then I wonder why I have a hard time having the mind of Christ? I get frustrated at the slowness of the reformation of my mind?

I get to choose what to dwell on. God tells me what to dwell on. How simple can it get?

No comments: