Wednesday 13 August 2008

Freedom

Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: - Philippians 4v11


Now before I start, I know that the Bible was not written in English, but I do find the meanings of our English words fascinating. Here is the entry for “content” from the Online Etymological Dictionary – “1418, from M.Fr. contenter, from content (adj.), c.1400, from L. contentus "contained, satisfied," pp. of continere . Sense evolved through "contained," "restrained," to "satisfied," as the contented person's desires are bound by what he or she already has.”

In reality, this etymology is pretty close to the Greek word for contentment here. It was a classic Greek word that was used two other times in the New Testament. It has the idea that ‘what I have is sufficient.’ The two words used to form the word meant ‘self-weightless.’ The content person is free from the weight and pressures of ‘stuff.’ Freedom from stuff, as Socrates said, is true wealth. – ‘He that is content with least, for autarkeia is nature’s wealth.’

I am blessed by the fact that Paul reminds us that he had to learn the lesson himself. Apparently he suffered the same problem that we have. He must have been just as likely to be impatient and discontent as we are. I wonder if that fact that God took everything away from him and knocked out all the props had anything to do with him learning to be content.

My favourite classic novel is ‘Robinson Crusoe’. It is much more than a story about a guy stuck on an island. The story of his salvation is well worth a study in itself. However, the great theme after salvation was learning to be content with what he had. For years he dreamed of what he might have had if he had not been shipwrecked. But gradually, after his salvation, he learned to be totally at peace with where he was and the lot God gave him. I am away from home at the moment, but if I have my marked copy of the book to hand I would share where he finally learned that his desires were to be bound by what he already had, that contentment was nature’s true wealth.

The problem is that we far too often try to manipulate our situation to bring about contentment. We think ‘If I only had this or that, if I was only here or there, I would be content.’ Crusoe learned that contentment had to come first. When he learned to be content he saw himself as master of his own land. He saw the wealth of resources available to him. He saw himself as alive and a child of God. He saw all the good that God had provided.

Had his circumstances changed? No, he was still stuck all alone on an island. But he had learned that true wealth comes in being bound by what he already had. Contentment is freedom from stuff and situations!

2 comments:

Scott Bandy said...

Good challenge Roger.

Scott

Naas Preacher said...

I want to add an appendum to this days blog that I think really fits. My son sent me this today.

'If I have been freed from anger, contempt and obsessive desire and am pervaded by the love that is the family resemblance of those alive in the kingdom of the Father, I am freed from the need to secure myself by reputation or wealth. Conversely, if I am not immersed in the reality of this kingdom of love, it will not seem good or right to me to forego reputation, pride, vanity, and wealth, and I will be inescapably driven to pursue them.'

Dallas Willard, 'The Divine Conspiracy', (London: Fount Paperbacks, 1998), p.155.