Friday 26 September 2008

Comfort one another

For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words. - 1 Thessalonians 4v16-18

Eschatology or the study of future events is surely NOT my strongpoint in theology. Some guys really seem to ‘get it.’ (Although I have noticed that they all seem to ‘get it’ differently :insert a grin here: ) All of the prophecies, weeks, dates, images, underlying meanings, and such just haven’t fully dropped for me. I simply don’t know all of this stuff.

I do know one thing however; I do know that Jesus is coming back for me and it could be any moment. In that I agree with Patrick, the 5th century missionary to Ireland who said, ‘we look for the soon advent of our Lord.’ It may be today, it may be tomorrow, it may be next week, it may be next month, next year, or, as for Patrick it might be another 1500 years. The truth is that He is coming back.

One day, maybe in my lifetime and maybe not, Jesus is coming back to sort it all out. This world, with its ways and systems is not going to win. At the end of the day the victory is already ours. Jesus said he was going to prepare a place for us. When He left the angel said He was coming back. Paul says here that He is coming back. It is a fact.

Someone had been trying to tell the believers at Thessalonica that they had missed it. Paul told them had not. When it happens we are not going to miss it.

What wonderful comfort for us. One day all of this will be over. Either I will die to forever be with the Lord, or He will come back to get me and I will forever still be with Him.

He is coming back – I am looking for His ‘soon advent.’

‘What a day that will be, when my Jesus I shall see. When I look upon His face, the One who saved me by His grace. When He takes me by the hand to lead me through the promised land. What a day, glorious day, that will be.’

No comments: