Tuesday 30 September 2008

No evil for evil

See that no one renders evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is good both for yourselves and for all. - 1 Thessalonians 5v15

In the early days of my Christian life I remember the kind of things that had priority in the churches I attended. ‘Men, get your hair cut,’ was one of those rules. One of my very first ministries was a bus route. My first experience with the ‘rules’ was when he had to quit the bus route because his hair was just over his ears and he would not cut it. ‘Women never wear trousers, for any reason.’ The epitome of this silliness was when I saw pictures of women wearing skirts over skip pants on a youth outing. ‘Christians don’t go to the cinema.’ But it is fine to go rent a film. This kind of stuff did and still does confuse me.

One thing I never saw talked about, preached, or enforced was ‘Don’t render evil for evil.’ I have never seen a Sunday School teacher dismissed because they responded to a provocation with anger and reciprocation. I have never seen ‘church discipline’ even started against one who return evil directed at them with evil of their own.

What is the normal response when someone attacks us? What happens when we sit down and railing accusations begin? What happens when we get called on the carpet? Even worse, what happens when the ‘charges’ are either false or based on a false perception? Even worse than that, what happens when the chewing out is based on lies and half truths?

How about something like – ‘You can’t talk to me like that!!!!’ Our immediate response is often to go from there and return the attack on to the attacker. Evil is rendered in response to evil, and we somehow feel justified because the other person started it.

One may ask, ‘What, am I supposed to just be a doormat?’ I don’t think so. We can lovingly respond, not to the person, but to the issues, and not with evil, but with love.

Too often being a ‘Fighting Fundamentalist’ has just resulted in being a fighting jerk who is no better than the one who started the fight.

No evil in response to evil. Instead pursue good for all.

1 comment:

Candi said...

Ok, now you're the just preaching:>) This is one of those verses that reminds me this whole Christianity gig is about my heart - not just lofty ideals. I have to accept the Word as truth IN MY INNERMOST BEING so that it is real and affects my choices. Wow--pursuing what is good for myself AND for all (even the ones that do evil to me)! Now that's not normal behavior, is it?