Sunday 21 September 2008

Not shaken by affliction

and sent Timothy, our brother and minister of God, and our fellow laborer in the gospel of Christ, to establish you and encourage you concerning your faith, that no one should be shaken by these afflictions; for you yourselves know that we are appointed to this. - 1 Thessalonians 3v2-3

Paul’s concern for the folks at Thessalonica was so great that he had to send Timothy to check on them. He was worried that the trials and afflictions would just be too much for them. He was afraid that things would be so tough, even though he had clearly warned them that it would not be easy, that they would just give up.

I am tempted to move on and tell how they did, but I want to focus on this part for the moment.

Paul was worried that the tempter would come along and use their trials and affliction to discourage them. He even said that he was worried that his work there had been in vain. That can’t be talking about their salvation, but their dedication to serve the Lord and be faithful. He was worried that the trials and difficulties of service would defeat them and they would just give up.

I don’t know where we get this concept that serving the Lord is going to be easy. Maybe I as an American got the idea because that is all I knew before I came here. I got saved, went to Bible college, was always in a good church, had a Christian school for my kids, was surrounded by Christian friends, had plenty of fellowship, and so many other benefits. The thing was, I could do all of that and still have all the amazing stuff that comes from living in the most prosperous country in the history of the world. We never had much, we always struggled to pay bills, but we still had spiritual and physical comforts and prosperity.

I can understand why Paul was so concerned for the believers in Thessalonica. After Paul left the afflictions got worse and worse. It wasn’t easy to be a Christian in Thessalonica. Satan knew that and he would try his best to bring that to the forefront of the people’s minds so they would give it up.

Sometimes I feel that way. Sometimes I get so tired of the service God has called me to that Satan can slip in and remind me of all that I could have. Paul was just like the rest of us. He knew about the trials, and theirs were so much worse than most of us would ever encounter today. No wonder he was so worried for them.

Shaken by afflictions. I was talking to someone in our little church this week. She had read something about being able to just move on no matter what comes along. I was reminded of Daniel who, when the law was passed outlawing his worship, just did what he was accustomed to doing.

I long for the day when I can say that I am not shaken by afflictions.

No comments: