Friday 12 September 2008

Those who are without

Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside, redeeming the time. – Colossians 4v5



I don’t think it is any coincidence that this passage is in the same context as ‘praying that God would open a door.’ Immediately after that, Paul tells us how to deal with those who are outside the body of Christ. He says, ‘walk in wisdom toward them, and redeem the time.’

I think there is a generic sense where we can take this verse and apply it. I think it is a good general statement. It is a good principle for daily living; walk in wisdom, redeem the time.

I think, considering the context, I be wrong to point out a contextual application.

The pervious verse tells is to pray that God would open a door to share the gospel. I contend that it is at least possible that the next verse tells us what to do while we pray. It is easy enough to just take the easy way out and say, ‘Well, I am praying for an open door, and when it opens I will step in..’ That doesn’t appear to be God’s way though. It seems that God is saying, “pray that God would open the door, but while you pray be wise in dealing with the lost, and use the time you have.’

Our life is not all about doing. It is not all about praying. It is about praying and while we pray use the time God has given us wisely, especially in dealing with people.

While I pray, may I for one, be wise in dealing with my lost friends and use the time God has given me.

No comments: