Sunday 19 October 2008

Blameless

A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; - 1 Timothy 3v2

A bishop, an overseer, a superintendant. All of these words describe part of the role of being a pastor. This is the part of the office for the one who watches over others. Being in this position now it may take me a while to get through this section. These reflections are an honest report though of my personal time with God every day, so we will trust the Holy Spirit to use them as He will.

In the first verse Paul reminds us that the office of a bishop is a good work. In Ephesus he used the title for the pastors of the church there, reminding them to ‘oversee’ the flock. Throughout the New Testament it refers to the leaders in the local churches whose, as part of their task, superintended the church and its people.

Right at the top of the list of qualifications is the word ‘blameless’ Of course, this word cannot mean ‘perfect’ else no one would ever be qualified for the position. The word means that the person is un-rebukeable. There is nothing in his character that disqualifies him or that he can be called out for. It means his identifying character is such that nothing about him can be called into question.

What does all this mean when it comes right down to it? I will apply it to me. When people hear my name, as the pastor of this small local church, what comes to their minds? Is it an angry man? Is it a man who is proud, arrogant, self-centred, and haughty? Is it a man who is greedy or materialistic? Is it a man who is angry and short tempered? Is it a man who is fleshly and enamoured with the things of the world?

If these kinds of things are what people think of then I am not blameless. If this is my reputation I am not qualified to represent Christ or oversee any believers. I am not fit for the good work of a bishop.

What should people see? They should see a man who is Christ-like. Their first thought, inside the church or out, should be something like, ‘he is a decent chap.’

Blameless. Does that really describe my like? If not, it must be my desire and my goal, or else I am not qualified to superintend others.

No comments: