Saturday 11 October 2008

May the Lord of peace give you peace

Now may the Lord of peace Himself give you peace always in every way. The Lord be with you all. - 2 Thessalonians 3v16

Many years ago I read a series of political fiction by Alan Drury. He featured headlines as part of this story, and they were always big and bold. I almost feel like we are living in a Drury novel today with the headlines we have seen this week. All over the world banks are being bailed out by governments and economies continue to worsen. Stock markets are on the verge of collapse. No on knows what is going to happen, but it just gets worse and worse and worse.

This has brought things to my own mind. I have been tempted to fret over so much. I have worried about not owning a house. I have worried about how the economy is going to affect our support.

This of course expands to a pattern of worry where I find myself worrying about all kinds of things. Then I get unsettled and that slants everything and I find myself in all kinds of turmoil.

I prayed with a friend yesterday and as we prayed he mentioned the marvellous verse – ‘Be care-ful for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God, and the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.’

Then this morning I read, ‘May the Lord of peace, Himself, give you peace in every way…’

How can I fret over all this stuff when the Lord of peace, Himself, is my Lord? How can I fret when He tells me to cast ll my cares on Him because He cares for me? How can I fret when He tells me not to be full of cares?

I think it goes back to what my friend prayed yesterday. I fret when I forget to be thankful. I fret when I am not abiding in Him.

The very God of peace Himself will give us peace in the storms of life if we can just trust Him to carry us through.

No comments: