Wednesday 22 October 2008

Not greedy…not covetous

not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous; - 1 Timothy 3v3

It is interesting that these words about greed and coveting are including right in the words about fighting and brawling. There is clearly a connexion. Those who are greedy of money and not content are going to do what it takes to fulfil their desires.

My heart breaks, and I don’t want to go into a rant here, at how much greed and coveting I have seen in pastors and preachers that I have known. I will admit, I like stuff too and materialism is a battle that we all face, but some seem happy to live in their money hungry ways.

I have seen pastors bring what amounts to wage demands before their churches. I have seen preacher with a minimum fee for speaking engagements. I have seen pastors base their decision on where to pastor on who makes the highest offer. I have seen pastors change churches because they had to do without in a current situation. In many churches the pastor drives the best car(s) and lives in one of the nicest houses in the church.

When a man makes a decision, even in part, on salary and stuff, is does he really meet this qualification? God forbid that I will make such a decision. May I keep sight of my service for Him, and let Him worry about the rest.

No comments: