Monday 6 October 2008

That the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified

that the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and you in Him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ. - 2 Thessalonians 1v12

I have to admit I am facing one of those down times that come in serving the Lord. I don’t even know why. We are facing the typical challenges, but we are seeing some great things happening.

Yet, I think I do know the root of the problem. The issue is that what happens to me is far too important. I tend to base my emotions and my feelings and my perceptions on my circumstances and how things relate to me.

What do I mean? Well, it is pretty simple – I like to be praised. I like to be glorified. I like for people to say how wonderfully I am doing. When things don’t move as quickly as I, or others, think they should I don’t get much of that. I want to be a success, even in human terms.

Now, look back over the last couple of paragraphs. Without even thinking about it I have used the word “I” 15-16 times.

When Paul wrote to the Thessalonians he had something else in mind. He told them that trials and testings and hard times and persecution and oppositions and so on and so on were to be a matter of course for believers. How were they to respond? With a pity party? With a ‘woe is me?” No, with an attitude that says ‘patiently, faithfully endure.’ And why faithfully, patiently endure? For one reason – that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified.

At the end of the day I get myself in a royal mess when I want me glorified instead of Him. If my goal is to glorify Him I can endure anything that comes my way. If my goal is to glorify me then I will never get enough, no matter what.

Note to Roger: Endure, stick it, stay at it, be faithful – let the name of Jesus be glorified in your life.

No comments: