Sunday 9 November 2008

Avoid babblings

O Timothy! Guard what was committed to your trust, avoiding the profane and idle babblings and contradictions of what is falsely called knowledge by professing it some have strayed concerning the faith. Grace be with you. Amen. - 1 Timothy 6v20-21

I have to say I am deeply convicted today. Paul told Timothy, in so many words, to guard that which was committed to him by the Lord and forget all the other nonsense.

One of my greatest flaws is my love of politics. I absolutely love it. I like it in every location and at every level. If I hear a political discussion going on I always find myself drifting in that direction. I like Irish politics and I like American politics and in both countries it has been an exciting political year.

Here I am reminded that there is one thing that I really must guard, and that is the gospel which has been committed to my trust. The other stuff, like the politics that I love so much, can become the ‘profane and foolish babblings’ that Paul addresses here.

I don’t think that means that we can never discuss the weather, sports, politics, or the economy. I think it means that when it goes beyond a casual friendly chat and becomes contentious have move into babblings.

Paul is specifically addressing false teaching here, but the point is valid that we need to guard the task we are giving, glorifying God and drawing men to Him.

No comments: