Thursday 27 November 2008

I have kept the faith

For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. - 2 Timothy 4v6-7

Paul’s closing words and testimonial are both challenging and convicting. In this section he describes his life as it nears its end with thee phrases”

I have fought the good fight
I have finished the race
I have kept the faith

I personally think Paul wrote Hebrews (if you disagree that is fine). One of the reasons, since I know almost no Greek, is the way the same things are discussed both in Hebrews and other letters. These words from 2 Timothy seem to be the other end of the words in Hebrews – ‘…let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God...”

In Hebrews the race is yet to be run. In 2 Timothy it has been run. The race is over for Paul. He ran the race, he fought the fight, and all along the way he kept the faith. Paul has heeded the advice of Hebrews as he endured in the race.

Whenever I read these words I have to ask myself what I will be able to say about my own life when I come to the end of the race. I don’t even know sometimes if I can say, ‘I am fighting the good fight, I am running the race, and I am keeping the faith.’ If I can’t do it now, what will I say at the end?

Too often my flesh drags me off course, fear keeps me from fighting the fight, and only at the end will I know if I have faithfully held to the course.

By God’s grace alone may I be able to say one day:

I have fought a good fight
I have finished the race
I have kept the faith

No comments: