Thursday 18 December 2008

More Earnest Heed

Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away. – Hebrews 2v1

It is easy to fall into the trap that the Christian life is something in which we can just coast along and never worry about it. We think that as long as we are going to church and doing the Christian ‘things’ we are okay. We think that coasting along is good enough.

The writer of Hebrews spells it our differently – ‘we must give the more earnest heed to what we have heard.’ If not, we are in danger of drifting away, not from salvation, obviously, but from the strength and stability we find in those truths.

Like everything else our walk with the Lord requires diligent application. If I do not daily apply myself to my marriage the feelings and attachments will drift. The same is true with the things of the Lord. If I don’t apply ,myself regularly to His word and the things I have learned they will, slowly but surely drift away and I will not have that kind of fervent relationship with Him that is so vital.

Living for Him takes constant effort and application. We can’t just sit back and get it by osmosis. To live for Him requires this ‘utmost heed to the things we have heard.’

No comments: