Wednesday 3 December 2008

The older men

that the older men be sober, reverent, temperate, sound in faith, in love, in patience; - Titus 2v2

The older men – not that I am one or anything, but one day I probably will be. As I begin the enter the years of being one of the older men I am wise to pay particular attention to words of guidance.

When I read this I thought of grandfathers. As a granddad I go by ‘Grampy.’ One thing I don’t want to be is an old sourpuss who acts like a ‘grumpy Grampy.’ I also don’t want to be a pushover who spoils the grandchildren by giving them whatever they want. I need to be able to set an example of being solid, instructive, and at the same time loving and patient.

It is that last one that is the tough one. The older we get the harder it can be to be patient with the little ones. They are impetuous, investigative, curious, loud, and they require attention. But as Grampy I try to lovingly and patiently set an example and teach them.

The same holds true for a spiritual Grampy. Instead of being a grumpy Grampy who is always angry and upset, the older men must not waver in their example of being sober, reverent, and temperate. Their (our) faith must be solid. But as we practice those things we must be patient and loving with those who are young and growing.

No comments: