Thursday 4 December 2008

A pattern of good works

and in all things showing yourself to be a pattern of good works; in doctrine showing integrity, reverence, incorruptibility, sound speech that cannot be condemned, that one who is an opponent may be ashamed, having nothing evil to say of you. – Titus 2v7-8 

Paul uses similar words of advice to Titus that he gave to Timothy. Paul is always clear that when we serve the Lord we are going to face opposition. No matter what, we are going to have opponents. 

I think it is amazing that the word of God deals with every day practicalities. How do we deal with our opponents? Simple enough take away all their ammunition. ‘Show yourself a pattern of good works….that one who is an opponent may be ashamed and have nothing to say.’ Specifically we are to set a pattern with our good works, set a pattern in doctrine, show integrity, be reverent, be incorruptible, and use sound speech that cannot be condemned. 

Each of these is worth our attention, but I know doe me that the last one is the one that can cause me problems. My mouth is what can get me into most trouble and give others cause to be critical. It is vitally important that my words do not give anyone a chance to condemn me. 

I may still have opponents, but I need to be sure that I give them nothing to use. At the end, whether they admit it or not, they will be ashamed of their attacks. 

No comments: