Friday 12 December 2008

Refreshing the hearts


For we have great joy and consolation in your love, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed by you, brother.
- Philemon 1v7


There is so much about Philemon that I admire. I have always been challenged by Paul’s words when he writes that ‘the hearts of the saints’ have been refreshed by Philemon.

I love to be around people like that. Being around them is a joy. They are loving and encouraging. You leave feeling like you can face anything because they have encouraged you so much. When you spend time with them you feel like you have been on holiday and have the strength to go on.

On the other hand there are Christians who you dread being around. They have all bad news, discouragement, and defeat. You go in to them feeling bad and walk out feeling worse. You feel like, ‘what’s the use?’ Its kind of a ‘paper cut and lemon juice’ situation. They are either angry and belligerent or gloomy and depressing.

I wonder how other people feel after they have been around me. Am I like Philemon, or the doom and gloomers?

I want to be like Philemon. By God’s grace might I be a ‘heart refresher.’

No comments: