Monday 10 November 2008

To meet urgent needs

And let our people also learn to maintain good works, to meet urgent needs, that they may not be unfruitful. – Titus 3v14

I am grateful for the training and instruction I received in my early days. It laid a strong and solid foundation that has blessed me greatly. I am glad for the rock solid foundation of the word of God and a love for people.

There is one area that was not big though, and an area that I still need to work on, simply because I don’t think about it. Paul reminds Titus to ‘let our people learn to maintain good works.’ I have to say I honestly strive to do that. I want my works to glorify God and point to the Saviour.

But there is another way to be fruitful – ‘meet urgent needs.’ I am afraid that too often I am not quick to meet these urgent needs. I just don’t make myself aware of them. It is an area that was not a big part of most of the churches I have attended. We left that to the liberal churches.

I know that my lack of training is no excuse though. The word of God is clear; we must be aware of and quick to meet these urgent needs. May I allow God to open my eyes to these ‘urgent needs’ and give me the wisdom to meet them.

No comments: