Sunday 7 December 2008

Zealous of good works

…who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works. – Titus 2v14

God knows just when to bring the right passage into our lives. Such is the case for this passage.

‘Zealous of good works’ means just what it sounds like. As we are God’s own unique personal possession there are certain things expected of us. Part and parcel with our uniqueness should be a zeal and a fire about good works.

Let me share why I was convicted about this. Wednesday afternoon a friend who is a part of our church whenever he is in the country on business called by the house. He told me that he wanted to go and pass out tracts in Dublin on Saturday. To my shame I didn’t have a supply on hand to do that. I was full of reasons why it could not be done, but he was convinced that it was what God wanted us to do, so I contacted our printer. Surprisingly he was able and willing to print up a few hundred Christmas tracts for us by Friday. I ordered them and let my friend know that they would be ready.

I was not going to be able to go because I had meeting scheduled for Saturday, so this was easy enough so far. I don’t like Dublin when it is crowded and handing our big numbers of tracts is not my favourite ministry thing to do.

To make a long story short my meeting was cancelled so I knew that I should go in and help pass out the tracts.

Yesterday morning I read this passage in my devotions. I was smitten because I knew then that I did not have a zeal to do this work. I was going, but only because my meeting was cancelled and my friend would have to go alone if I did not go. I was not going because I was zealous of goods works.

We went after that, my spirit and my attitude were better, and the Lord gave us a great time passing out the tracts. People were receptive and open to receive them for the most part.

I am grateful for this ‘zeal check’ and for a godly friend who encouraged me to do right even with my lack of zeal.

No comments: