Tuesday 10 March 2009

Be patient

 

Therefore be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, waiting patiently for it until it receives the early and latter rain. You also be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand. – James 5v7-8 

Despite what we see around us one day it will all be made right for God’s people. James writes the words - be patient ‘brethren.’ He is writing to those who are his brethren in Christ. Because their eternity is secure they can look forward to the coming of the Lord. 

Sometimes it does seem like the whole world has gone upside down. Sometimes we wonder if justice really will prevail. People find success in lying, stealing, cheating, and violence. We might think, along with Habakkuk, 

‘O LORD, how long shall I cry, And You will not hear? Even cry out to You, "Violence!" And You will not save. Why do You show me iniquity, And cause me to see trouble? For plundering and violence are before me; There is strife, and contention arises. Therefore the law is powerless, And justice never goes forth. For the wicked surround the righteous; Therefore perverse judgment proceeds.’ (Habakkuk 1v2-4) 

So how do we handle all this? How do we get through? How do we deal with what is so clear right in front of our eyes? 

James has the answer – establish your hearts and be patient because the day of the Lord is coming. A farmer knows that his crops will not grow as soon as he plants them. He knows he has to wait for the right season to come. In the meantime he tends his fields while he waits for the harvest. 

One day God’s children will enjoy the harvest. The day of the Lord is coming. The day is coming when He is going to sort it all out and His justice will prevail. It may or may not come in my lifetime, but it will come. One day He is going to set it all right. In the meantime I need to stay at the task He has given me and wait for Him. 

The prophet Habakkuk had it right - I will stand my watch And set myself on the rampart, And watch to see what He will say to me, And what I will answer when I am corrected. 

After Habakkuk made this choice he was able to see and rejoice in waiting on the Lord. 

Though the fig tree may not blossom, Nor fruit be on the vines; Though the labor of the olive may fail, And the fields yield no food; Though the flock may be cut off from the fold, And there be no herd in the stalls Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation. The LORD God is my strength; He will make my feet like deer's feet, And He will make me walk on my high hills. To the Chief Musician. With my stringed instruments. Habakkuk 3v17-19 

Be patient. Establish your hearts in this confidence – the day of the Lord is coming. 

And in the words of the songwriter – ‘What a day that will be!’ 

No comments: