Wednesday 4 March 2009

He will lift you up

Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up. – James 4v10

When I watch Christian relationships and discussions I find that there is often a tendency to try and make sure, no matter what, that we don’t look bad. We feel slighted, rightly or wrongly, and then we feel the need to set the record straight and get back at the one we feel slighted us.

This kind of getting back always leads to a degeneration of the relationship and more and more hurt feelings. It never turns out well.

Why do we always feel the need to defend ourselves in these situations? Either the criticism is justified or it is not. If it is justified we need to humble ourselves and sort it out. If it is not justified we need to humbly point out the error and leave it. Why? Because God says that if we will humble ourselves He will lift us up.

Who does a better job of lifting, us or Him?

1 comment:

Candi said...

This is such a great reminder of a simple truth. I have such a hard time accepting this truth and acting in faith. My pride, my self-sufficiency, my righteousness - they all blind me to the truth that it's only because of Jesus I'm alive. It's only because His blood covers my sin and only because His death and His prompting enables me to do anything good. I think it's all about me, and when I do that, I'm certainly not humble in His sight.