Thursday 16 July 2009

Rich, but poor

Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing, and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked – Revelation 3v17

How many churches mentioned in the New Testament are known for their material wealth? As far as I can tell the church at Laodicea is the only one. They said of themselves, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing.’

I am going to address this issue today, not from one who knows everything, but from my own experience. Though I now serve in a small church that meets in a hired community centre and have seen a few churches in Europe my main experience is in American churches. I am sure that my characterisation of churches is not exclusive to America, but that is what I know. I also am not making charges or accusations, just some observations.

I have been in a lot of churches that obviously have plenty of money. Everything is first class, top of the line, no expense spared, high quality, really good stuff. From the beautiful chandeliers to the expensive wood work to the gold plated bathroom fixtures to the unique artwork to the opulent staff offices these churches exude wealth and success. People can now spend their whole lives at church getting a workout in the sports centre, shopping in the expansive bookstore, and stopping for a latte at the cafĂ©. Millions of dollars worth of family cars fill the car parks. Though they would not admit it, they really don’t need anything. They are self-sustaining and self-governing. They have ‘made it.’

I have to wonder about the words that Jesus says to the only wealthy church mentioned in scriptures. To that church He said, ‘…and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked.’

It just seems to me that something is not right here. All over the world there are churches and Christians that struggle to make ends meet. They meet in wretched conditions. While their brothers and sisters in Christ sit down for a cappuccino at the church coffee shop they think about how they are going to pay the rent for the hall they hire for church. Even worse, some of them are concerned about how they are going to feed their families dinner tonight.

Why does this inequity exists? While some churches are installing light fixtures worth half a million dollars other can’t afford the light bulbs for their meeting room. Is this right?

Is it just barely possible that the churches that think they have so much are the poor ones and the churches that have nothing are the rich ones?

No comments: