Friday 31 July 2009

They shall rest from their labours

Then I heard a voice from heaven saying to me, "Write: 'Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.' " "Yes," says the Spirit, "that they may rest from their labours, and their works follow them." – Revelation 14v13

As usual for this series of devotional thoughts I purposely am avoiding controversy and focusing on principle and devotional truths. The passage here applies to those whom most of call the ‘tribulation saints,’ but the principal here is consistent throughout the Bible.

Death can be a scary thought, mostly because it is the great unknown. I am not one of those guys who is looking forward to dying. I am enjoying this life, generally at least. I like my family, my church, and my friends. I am loving being a Grampy. Despite its challenges I even love this ministry.

I have to admit though that the idea of this ‘rest from the labour’ can be appealing sometimes. Mentioned here by John for the tribulation saints and in Hebrews for all believers there is a final rest coming for all of us. When that day comes we can cease from all the struggles and squabbles and trials and fears and battles with the flesh and battles with others and ups and downs and fears and defeats and so on and so on and so on.

So yes, in some ways I do long for the day of rest. Let me not forget though that my works are important, for just like these saints mentioned here my works will follow me. I don’t understand ho wit all works out, but when the day of rest gets here I want to be able to know that my works have been worked for the One who died for me instead of me.

No comments: