Tuesday 28 July 2009

We Shall Overcome

Then I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, "Now salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren, who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down. And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death. – Revelation 12v10-11

I am just old enough that I remember the 60s very well. Living in Alabama during that time I am very familiar with the Civil Rights movement of that time. Part of that memory is the haunting refrain of the tune ‘We Shall Overcome.’ This song became the theme for not only the Civil Rights Movement, but for many of the movements of the 60s.

Not a lot of people know it, but though the tune for this song came from a Civil War song the words were taken from a hymn called ‘I’ll Overcome Someday,’ written by Charles Tindley in 1901. Bear with me as I post the hymn here, taken from cyberhymnal.org.

This world is one great battlefield;
With forces all arrayed, If in my heart I do not yield I’ll overcome some day.

Both seen and unseen powers join To drive my soul astray, But with His Word a sword of mine, I’ll overcome some day.

A thousand snares are set for me, And mountains in my way, If Jesus will my leader be, I’ll overcome some day.

I fail so often when I try My Saviour to obey; It pains my heart and then I cry, Lord, make me strong some day.Lord, make me strong some day.

My mind is not to do the wrong, But walk the narrow way; I’m praying as I journey on, To overcome some day.

Though many a time no signs appear, Of answer when I pray; My Jesus says I need not fear, He’ll make it plain some day.I’ll be like Him some day.

This is a beautiful hymn that I have never actually heard. I came across it only when I thought of the title of today’s entry and looked into it a bit. This song however speaks so clearly of the passage.

For a long, long time the saints have had to deal with the Great Accuser who accuses us before the Father. The day is coming when he will be cast down. It is this occasion which allows us to see the testimony of the brethren who have:

Overcome by the blood of the Lamb
Overcome by their testimony
Did not love their lives, even to the point of death

One day we will truly overcome all that we face today. One day the blood of the Lamb will empower us to overcome all that we are facing today. It will all be defeated. Not only the Accuser, but the battles, the mountains, the snare, and powers will be once and for all defeated. The Power of the Christ will defeat all other powers.

We shall indeed overcome.

No comments: