Monday 24 August 2009

My reward is with me

"And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work. – Revelation 22v12

The speaker switches from the angel who has presented most of Revelation back to Jesus. This final section is Jesus last plea and call to come to him.

The love of Christ is clear to the very end. His plea carries on even after the final pictures of the future have been seen. It is obvious that His desire is for everyone to come to Him. What amazing love this is. Jesus pleas for the world to turn to Him even though there has been nothing but animosity and rejection for thousands of years.

This is an interesting statement. Jesus says, ‘I am coming quickly.’ No real problem with that, His return will come without warning or notice. ‘I have my reward with me to give every one according to his work.’ Let me cover the last part of that sentence first. The phrase ‘according to his works’ might seem troublesome, but I think that is because of our definition of ‘works.’ Works is not just what we physically do; works are all that is manifest in us. They are our emotions, our feelings, our attitudes, our responses and so on. The truth is that our works are a reflection of what we really are and what we really are is ultimately based on our relationship with Christ. Faith works and it is the works produced by faith or lack of it that will bring rewards.

I like the fact though that Jesus says, ‘I am bringing my reward with me.’ When parents go away on a trip and they come home their children will often ask them, ‘Did you bring me anything?’ Here Jesus tells us before we even ask that He is bringing rewards with Him. When we have put our faith in and follow Him was can be assured that rewards are coming.

I might not see many rewards here, but I have to say I am looking for to what Jesus is bringing me!

No comments: