Wednesday 12 August 2009

New Heaven and New Earth

Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea. – Revelation 21v1

This is one of those thoughts where I really don’t know what to make of it all, but did not feel like I could just skip over it either. So bear with me today as I mull this one over.

To be honest I sort of have mixed feelings. I like familiarity. I don’t like change even when I am pretty sure that it is going to be a change for the better. Something could always go wrong, after all.

On the other hand this is different. This change is in God’s hand and is according to His plan so it cannot go wrong. We are talking here about a total redo, free from the curse of sin.

Even now there are times and places when I marvel at the beauty of God’s creation. There are moments when I literally have to stop the car and gaze at the intense glimpses of His glory. I was driving to work a few weeks ago through the Wicklow and Dublin mountains. I came to a turn and there was an expanse of sunlight in the midst of a cloudy and drizzle day. Right where the sun shone was a group of trees and the sunlight on the wet leaves made them explode into a brilliance that was almost blinding.

As beautiful as this scene was, an as amazing as so many things that we see today, I can’t even imagine a heaven and earth where there is no curse of sin.

New heaven and new earth? Sounds pretty good to me!

1 comment:

Candi said...

I always hated this verse - after all what's life without the sea, right? I'm like you: I hate change. YET, every time God has brought me through a change(usually while I'm kicking and screaming, the other side is SO MUCH BETTER than I would have ever been able to dream or imagine in my wildest fantasy. And that's here - on this sin-tinged earth.