Thursday 20 August 2009

No defilement

But there shall by no means enter it anything that defiles, or causes an abomination or a lie, but only those who are written in the Lamb's Book of Life. – Revelation 21v27

I just finished reading Frank McCourt’s Angela’s Ashes. The book is an account of growing up in Brooklyn and Limerick. As I read this verse this morning a word stuck out that I think summarises the book. What could that one word be? Defilement.

Everything about McCourt’s life involved defilement. He was defiled by poverty. He was defiled by his father’s drunkenness. He was defiled by the literal filth of his world. He was defiled by the death of his brothers and sisters. He was defiled by fear and hopelessness. He was defiled by cruel family members, classmates, neighbours, schoolmasters, and employers. He was defiled by disease. He was defiled by his church. He was defiled by rampant immorality. To be frank reading the book leaves one feeling defiled.

Young Frank’s worst defilement, the one that really dominates the book and runs throughout every page, is the defilement that comes from within. He blames the defilement on his church and neighbours and the ‘guilt’ they impose, but it goes much deeper. He battles with the desire to do right and the fleshly defilement that leads him to do wrong.

As I read the book I am grateful that I could not really personally identify with the abject filth and poverty he grew up with. Though we have had plenty of times of ‘doing without’ we never did without food, clothes, and heat.

I have to admit though that I can identify with the defilement of the world and flesh. Part of the feeling of defilement in reading is the realisation that my own flesh has dealt with, and even now deals with, some of the same or similar battles.

McCourt’s desire in the book is to go back to America. He finally makes it, but even there the sense of defilement continues. He still can’t escape the sense that he is doing wrong. Some may blame what is here called ‘Catholic guilt’ but it goes much deeper. I contend that he had a real sense of his own sin nature and battled to deal with that.

Defilement is part of life. Sadly we get used to it. Of all that I have read in Revelation the last few days the promise of ‘nothing that defile’ has a real appeal to me. I long for the days of clean hands, a clean heart, and a clean mind. I long for the day when the defilement of the world and flesh is finally gone.

Praise God for the promise of ‘nothing that defiles.’

No comments: