Wednesday 26 August 2009

Root and offspring of David

"I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star." - Revelation 22v16

Why is this little phrase about the ‘Root and Offspring of David’ thrown in here? This is the question that crossed my mind when I first read it. Then I started thinking about another similar passage.

Paul quotes Isaiah in Romans 15v12 when he wrote, ‘And again, Isaiah says: "There shall be a root of Jesse; And He who shall rise to reign over the Gentiles, In Him the Gentiles shall hope.’

The Root of David and the Root of Jesse are one and the same because Jesse is David’s dad. Isaiah made it clear that the Root of Jesse is the reason that we as Gentiles have hope for eternity. In Ephesians 2 we read that Jesus broke down the ‘wall of partition’ between Jews and Gentiles so that all now have access to Him.

Without the Root of David we would have no hope. God’s people would include only the Jews.

Jesus says. ‘I am the Root and Offspring of David’ and with Paul’s words he is saying, ‘I am the hope of the Gentiles.’ Praise God for our Only Hope!

No comments: