Tuesday 29 September 2009

To a land I will show you

Now the LORD had said to Abram: "Get out of your country, From your family And from your father's house, To a land that I will show you.
– Genesis 12v1

Any type of major move involves a mixed range of emotions. Excitement, fear, anxiety, sadness, and joy are among those emotions. When we moved to Ireland in 1995 it was a huge change. People talked about how much faith that took and were gracious in their comments. But we knew where we were going. We knew what town we were going to, we knew few people, and we even had a home ready for us to move into. We had a container of all of our stuff so home would still be home.

Abraham had none of that when God told him to go. 'Get up, leave your people, and go. I will let you know when you are there. I can't even imagine the kind of faith that required. To just go and trust God to let me know when I am where I am supposed to be was an example of what we know call blind faith, The was faith that was not based on what Abraham could see, but faith that was based on God's promises alone.

While we may never be called to leave kith and kin for lands unknown God may still call us to step out of our comfort zone to where things are totally unknown.

Do we have the kind of faith that will step out there and let God lead? Or is our comfort zone just a little too comfortable?


No comments: