Thursday 22 October 2009

Don’t be afraid

And the LORD appeared to him the same night and said, "I am the God of your father Abraham; do not fear, for I am with you. I will bless you and multiply your descendants for My servant Abraham's sake." – Genesis 26v24

I was up early this morning. There is a lot on my mind and I am battling my old enemy of anxiety. There are some things happening that I know He is going to sort out, but still, the fears are there.

As I was dealing with these I opened my Bible to Genesis 26 because there is where I am in this trip through His word. I read about Isaac and how he was run off by Abimelech and forced to go into a new land. As Isaac and his family went along they discovered old wells which had been dug by Abraham. These wells had been filled in by the Philistines but as Isaac had them dug u again they found them still providing water for them. As they went out step by step they watched God meet their needs. Well after well was uncovered. They uncovered wells called Quarrel and Enmity because of the opposition of the Gerarites. Then the uncovered a well called Spaciousness because there was no opposition. Then they uncovered the well of Beesheba where Abraham and Abimelech had signed a covenant.

It was certainly a time of uncertainty for Isaac and his family. Yet as they moved forward God provided. They did their work and God met their needs. In the midst of the move and the opening wells God appeared to Isaac with a timely reminder – ‘I am the God of your father Abraham; don’t be afraid, for I am with you.’

Though I have read these words many times in scripture they still continue to bless me when I read them again. I know these words were spoken to Isaac as part of an old covenant, but we have the same promise. Jesus said, ‘I am with you always, even to the end of the age.’ We need not fear. We need not fret. We need not faint.

No matter what we face today lets remember that precious promise, “I am with you.’

No comments: