Sunday 18 October 2009

Don’t get in my way

And he said to them, "Do not hinder me, since the LORD has prospered my way; send me away so that I may go to my master." – Genesis 24v56

Abraham’s servant had a job to do. He had accomplished the hard part of the job and it was time to go back to Abraham and Isaac.

Like always it seems there was a roadblock in the way. ‘Just give us a few more days,’ said Rebekah’s family, ‘just a little longer.’

The servant knew he could not do that. “Don’t hinder me,’ he said, ‘the Lord has prospered me and I need to get back.’

This servant had a single-mindedness about the task he had to do. His master gave him a job to do and he had to do it. Simple enough. These folks couldn’t get in the way.

So where is the application? We too have our own tasks from the Lord. All kinds of things are in the way. There are all kinds of roadblocks and hindrances.

The problem is, unlike this servant, we can let these hindrances get us off traffic. Something as a simple as a television programme that we really like can distract our minds from the task.

We need to kind of dedication and singleness of purpose that this servant had. When things get in our way we need to respond with a ‘do not hinder me!’ We must run our race with patience, not being put off by the roadblocks and distractions, looking unto Jesus; the originator and the finisher of our faith.

No comments: