Thursday 15 October 2009

Remaining silent

And the man, wondering at her, remained silent so as to know whether the LORD had made his journey prosperous or not. – Genesis 24v21

I love the little details of the word of God.

Before the servant even finished praying a woman walked up to the well and began doing the exact same things that he had asked God to show him. And yet, he still did not move. He remained silent in order to know if this was the Lord prospering his journey.

I am the world’s worst ‘wait-er.’ I am even a worse ‘keeping silent-er.’ I hate waiting and I cannot keep my big mouth shut. I want my situation sorted here and now. I can be impetuous to say the least.

There is merit, wisdom, and blessing in learning how to wait and keep our mouths shut. Even though the answer to prayer seemed obvious the servant still held back just a moment to make sure that this was God working and not just circumstances.

It is interesting just how often this theme appears throughout the Bible. Over and over we read about praying, waiting, and keeping silent.

A lot of ‘stuff’ is going on at the moment. I am battling anxiety, worry, and fretting. I have been praying. Maybe I need to keep that up, then keep my mouth shut to watch and see what God does.

No comments: