Sunday 22 November 2009

I AM

And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, I AM has sent me to you. " - Exodus 3v14

This is such holy event that I almost feel funny typing these special words. From what I have read for generations scribes would not even write the words unless they were transcribing scriptures, and then they had a special routine they would go through when they wrote this name for God. It almost seems cheap to simply type it out.

What name is so special? Moses asked God, ‘Who will I say sent me?’ God said ‘ I AM WHO I AM. Tell them I AM has sent you.’

Just think about the name I AM for a minute. I AM does not leave any room for time or change. There is no past, present, or future with I AM. I AM always has been, is now, and always will be.

‘I am the Lord, I change not.’ ‘Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today, and forever.’

Since I AM is not dependent on time, we can rest assured that nothing takes Him by surprise. How can it? He is already there. The whole concept of Open Theism, which says that God does not know all the future, is destroyed by I AM.

In our English Bibles I AM is rendered as Jehovah, or Yahweh, or Lord (with all caps). When we see that we can be reminded of the fact that the same God who appeared to Moses in the burning bush to deliver Israel is with us today.

We are blessed and privileged to serve the great I AM!

No comments: