Saturday 14 November 2009

There is a Shepherd

But his bow remained in strength, And the arms of his hands were made strong By the hands of the Mighty God of Jacob (From there is the Shepherd, the Stone of Israel), - Genesis 49v24

I wish commentators would discuss more of the passages I don't fully understand. I don't normally do a deep study for these thoughts, but this morning I looked at a few resources and could not find anything really helpful on this verses that caught my eye. So, here we go with I saw here. I don’t think my thoughts will do any disservice.

Israel called his sons to him to bless them and prophecy about their futures. When he got to Joseph we pictured how he had been attacked, but how God had brought him through. He stayed strong by the hands of the Mighty God of Jacob. Then we read this little phrase – ‘From there is the Shepherd, the Stone of Israel.’

I could not help but notice the familiarity of those words. I am not sure whether these descriptions are for Joseph as a picture of Christ or for Christ Himself. I do know that we have a blessed comment on what God does for His people.

God provides a Shepherd for guidance and provision. He also provides a Rock of stability. Eventually Jesus fulfills both of those roles.

Looking at Joseph as a presursor of Christ is a fascinating study. There are many facets of his life that mirror Christ. Joseph can be seen as the shepherd who guided Israel out of captivity. He can be seen as the rock that provided stability in Egypt.

But that is only a picture of our Great Shepherd and of our Rock as found in Jesus Christ. Praise God for our Shepherd. Praise God for our Rock.

No comments: