Monday 23 November 2009

Who made man's mouth?

So the LORD said to him, "Who has made man's mouth? Or who makes the mute, the deaf, the seeing, or the blind? Have not I, the LORD? - Exodus 4v11

Moses is something of an enigma. While, as a friend pointed out in a discussion, the Hall of Faith in Hebrews 11 talks about his great faith, we also see his struggles. But more about that in the next couple of days.

‘I can’t speak God; I am not eloquent enough for this task.’ I think perhaps this might be seen as a mark of humility. This statement points out the need for balance in our lives. We can’t use our character traits, even our positive character traits, from serving God. He knew that he was not worthy of this great task. ‘I just can’t do this God.’

But God knew more about Moses than Moses did. He did what Moses could do with His help.

We see something like this with our children. They don’t always know what they are capable of accomplishing. Sometimes they need just a little push and encouragement. I remember when I was teaching school I would often come across students who would not perform to their potential. I could see abilities in them that they were not yet aware of. Sometimes even their parents could not see the potential. A little encouragement and a little stretching of ability was all the needed.

God knows so much more than a parent or teacher. We can see signs and indicators and we can act on them. Sometimes we can even expect too much.

God doesn’t have that problem. He knows exactly what we can do because He made us! He knows our lips, our hands, our brains, our skills, and our abilities.

God will never lead us to a task that we are not capable of doing with His help. He knows exactly what we can do with Him.

No comments: