Tuesday 29 December 2009

I know you by name

So the LORD said to Moses, "I will also do this thing that you have spoken; for you have found grace in My sight, and I know you by name." – Exodus 33v17

A few years ago...wait, let me start again. Many years ago, back in 1977 there was a 'Christian Athletes Sunday' at Tennessee Temple University where Mary and I were students. Amazingly I knew one of the athletes. Billy 'White Shoes' Johnson was a Chritian who was a star player for the Houston Oilers, a professional American football team.

I decided to go see him so joined the queue to get an autograph. Suddenly he looked up and looked into the queue. Our eyes met and he shouted 'Roger Parrow, what are you doing here?' as he waved me up

I was so chuffed with myself. Mary and I walked up and chatted with Billy catching up since our days at another school. Everyone looked on in amazement. A 'somebody' knew Roger Parrow by name!

It is nice to be known by name. It makes us feel special when others can remember to call us and use our names.

How amazing it is that God could tell Moses ‘I know you by name.’ This is not the only time God refers to knowing those who are His by name. It is simply astounding to think that the God who created and sustains the universe by His power would know His people by name.

When I read passages like Psalm 139 it is obvious that He knows us intimately. Isaiah 45v3 confirms the fact that God does indeed know us by name – ‘I will give you the treasures of darkness and hidden riches of secret places, That you may know that I, the LORD, Who call you by your name, Am the God of Israel.’

It was great to be known by name by a famous American footballer. How much greater is it to be know by name by the great I AM.

No comments: