Sunday 17 January 2010

We want our cucumbers!

We remember the fish which we ate freely in Egypt, the cucumbers, the melons, the leeks, the onions, and the garlic; - Numbers 11v5

I like cucumbers. I even like those cucumbers sandwiches, those girlie delights. I didn’t think about them until Beth made one on a warm summer day a few years ago. It looked so light and refreshing that I tried it and loved it.

I also like sliced cucumbers soaked in vinegar and sugar with little pieces of ice floating around. Wow! They are delicious.

With that in mind I can somewhat understand the feelings of the people of Israel. They really missed all that good food. They missed their fish and cucumbers and melons and leeks and onions and garlic. They may have been slaves, but they ate well.

Shortly after they left Sinai they were stirred up by the ‘mixed multitude’ amongst them and they let their discontent grow. They were tired of eating manna everyday. I can understand that because I am fleshly minded just like them.

So what did they do? Did they suck it up and move on? Did they learn to be content where they were with what they had to hand?

Sadly, the answer is no. Stirred up by the outsiders they cried out about how miserable they were. In reality they were complaining about what God was doing. They were placing themselves and their desires above a perfect and holy God who knew what was best for them.

Contentment is one of those vital lessons that we really must get. It is a theme that runs throughout the entire word of God. It is a lesson we have to learn and a choice we have to make. We can’t be hung up about what we miss or what we have to do without. It never honours God and it is a slap in His face when we are not happy with our present state.

Paul got it right when he said, ‘I have learned to be content no matter that my present state.’

No comments: