Wednesday 24 February 2010

Don’t forget

then beware, lest you forget the LORD who brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage. – Deuteronomy 6v12

I am not (yet) old. I keep telling myself that at least. However, I do find myself at times not being quite as sharp as I was at one time. Sometimes I walk into a room and forget why I am there. That is only really bad when I go into the toilet. Sometimes I open an app on my phone and forget why I opened it or go to a contact list and forget who I am looking for.

I can joke about this, but sometimes forgetfulness can be serious or even tragic. Those with Alzheimer’s or other related illnesses can forget serious things. Even spouses can go unrecognised. Relationships are forgotten and because of that they are seriously affected.

‘Don’t forget the Lord.’ This is not the only place this is mentioned. We are told not to let the things of God ‘slip away.’ We are told to ‘hold fast.’ We are instructed to ‘call to remembrance.’

Not forgetting is an active role that we are to play. We can’t just hope to float along and depend on what we have learned.

When there is so much to distract us it is easy to forget the Lord. When we are burdened down with testings and trials and temptations and turmoil it is easy to focus so much on them that we forget Him. He is the One who brought Israel out of bondage. He is the One who brought us out of the bondage of sin.

I have found for myself that the best way to not forget Him in the hard times is to apply the principle found in Philippians chapter 4. ‘Be care-full for nothing. But in everything, by prayer and supplication, WITH THANKSGIVING, let your requests be made known to God.’ Then, and only then ‘The peace of God that passes all understanding will keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.’

Don’t forget God. Remember Him with thanksgiving for who He is and what He has done.

No comments: